Monday, February 8, 2010

How do I become an air traffic controller?

I've been a CFII for 10 years, but I want to transition to becoming an air traffic controller. How and where do I begin? I've gotten conflicting information, and I'd just like to know where to find the answers I need, or see if anyone here knows. I never finished my college degree, and at 30 years old, I haven't the time or resources for that. Is it an absolute, set-in-stone requirement? Would my flight time and experience transfer to college credits? How do I become an air traffic controller?
Well, For the FAA you're probably going to be out of luck. Your 31st birthday is the cutoff to be hired and the process from start to your job offer is 8 months if you are extremely, extremely lucky. Add that to this being the end of the fiscal year and the FAAs budget being a ';continuing resolution'; at this point, I don't see it being a possibility.





If you want to still do ATC there are several contractors out there that take over small VFR FAA towers, Serco and midwest ATC come to mind, and to be honest they pay pretty nicely. They require a CTO, control tower operators certificate, which can be gotten through the military OR through the Community College of Beaver County's ATC program terminal option. I believe there is a community college in GA that offers a program also that gives you a full CTO also, but I can't swear to it.





Now if you just turned 30, go here http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/head鈥?/a> and follow the directions.





After your submit your application, call a tower (no matter how small, you HAVE to get your foot in the door at your age) you fly out of regularly and ask to talk to the manager. Woo them with how familiar you are with the area and beg them to tell the hub supervisor to pick you up on the next bid. Keep calling and bugging everyone and anyone who can help your cause.





If you need any help message me, but if you're 30 and a half, you're too late sorry to say.





How do I become an air traffic controller?
Here is a good link: http://www.faa.gov/jobs/job_opportunitie鈥?/a>





20 years ago, my friend and I took the ATC exam together at the federal building, downtown. He got a 98 and was called within 3 months. He went to Oklahoma City to train and now he is a ATC Trainer making pretty good money. Times have changed though and I think the process is different.





BTW: Age 31 is the cutoff for ATC applicants.





Good luck.
Cutoff age is 30 your too old sorry hon to get your FAA cert

No comments:

Post a Comment